Sunday, January 08, 2006

That's What You Get

“That’s what you get for playing with my toy” said one of my kids after he hit the other.
“Yah, well that’s what you get for hitting me,” said the other, after she kicked her brother.
“That’s what you get for [insert petty offense here].”

I am so sick and tired of hearing that! I want to walk over, grab whatever or hit whoever started it, send them to their room and scream: “That’s what you get for making me have to listen to that!” Then the adult side takes over and instead I stew.

What is it about those words that drive me crazy? They signify the lack of a great American characteristic...taking responsibility for your actions, admitting and learning from your mistakes. On the other hand, those 4 words are too American, as evidenced by the law-suit happy, it’s not my problem, I’ve gotta get mine, society we live in today.

Wednesday morning, I open my email. On the front page are top stories from KNBC here in LA. I click and read this:

Motorist Shot After Refusing To Give Up Vehicle

The two men talked briefly before the suspect demanded the man's vehicle. The victim was unaware that the suspect was armed and refused, he said.
The suspect produced a shotgun and shot the man once in the right leg and ankle, allegedly saying, "That's what you get for mouthing off," Arase said. (click
here for full shameful story)

Great. Just great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home