Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Remedial Son - Part 2

Met today with the head of the lower school and the curriculum director. Ya know, in this case, the people who decide whether or not to let my child into their school.

I saw, for the first time, two things. First his test scores from the not very helpful No-Child-Left-Behind-Mandatory testing. This test was administered to him last year and WE NEVER RECEIVED it. (I'm saving that topic for another entry.) I know test scores show how well you take tests. Still when your child, your beautiful, personable child scores just above the below basics level…

Second came the sample writings of other 8 – 9 year olds. Compared to his average peers, L’s writing looks like that of a first grader. He will be 9 in a little over a week.

They will not accept L for next year.

Before you get angry at me for "counting" test scores, before you tell me not to label my son, and before you tell me it will all be OK, I need to make you aware of something.

Today…I am on strike.

I will not be accepting recommendations, input, or phrases that start with any of the following:

  • “Well, at least…”
  • “When this happened to me, I did...”
  • “He’ll be fine and…”

I will be accepting, however, notes of “I’m sorry for what you’re dealing with,” Vanilla Hagen Daz Ice Cream, and recommendations for good chick flicks.

These are the things I know to be true for today.

I am scared, disheartened, and sorry. I will cry when I see L today and I will cry for much of the remainder of the day. All of this crying is ok, too. I know that having a “good” life does not preclude, or take away my right to feel sad.

I know a piece of me has died. The perfect older child dream is now smaller. And whether you admit it or not, and as silly as it sounds when voiced, as mothers all we want is for our children to do well in everything for the rest of their lives. It hurts to loose that dream, as unrealistic as it is.

I know that for the first time since my oldest has left toddlerdum, I am helpless to fix “it” for him. I can’t redirect his attention, take the harmful object out of his way, or drill him on his shapes. My physical and somewhat mental freedom comes with emotional constrains I can’t even fathom. Remember bringing home your baby? Did it matter that you were like the gazillionth person over a life span of millions of years to give birth? That same fear of uncertainty, responsibility and being unsure of how it would all work is how I feel right now. That is exactly how I feel.

And now just like then, I don’t want someone telling me how to do something, I don't want suggestions or comments.

What I want is someone to cry with me, and to nod his/her head when I talk. I want someone to let me grieve my loss, sit in the fear with me and to understand intrinsically that this isn’t about information, this is about life.

Life lessons don’t get fixed, they get lived. And maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after I will live this one but for now, I just need a tissue...and some Hagen Daz.

8 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chick Flicks I can do!! My faves, not in any particular order:
-The Notebook
-Beaches
-Thelma & Louise
-Finding Neverland
-Hitch
-My Big Fat Greek Wedding
-Along came Polly
-Mystic Pizza
-Missisippi masala
Thinking of you..........sending you strength vibes~~~~~~~~~:-)

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,

I'm sorry that you're feeling so low but i'm not really sure what you're feeling so low about. Don't I remember conversations w/ you about how you'd keep the "school stuff' in perspective. WHAT HAPPENED? Shall I remind you about how you used to know that each kid develops in his own time. That's part of why you were homeschooling wasn't it? Where did you go Kim and please, if you won't get out of your way for you, do it for your son. He deserves it.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ok to mourn, feel sorry for yourself, your son, your shared situation... it's ok to cry, feel like you're alone, that you haven't "held up your end" of motherhood... it's ok to feel guilty, sad, scared... FOR A WHILE. Eat your pint of Haagan Daz... let the truth sink in and then "buck up"... it is your son you're talking about and he needs your strength and confidence in HIM. Regardless of test scores, he is the magical, wonderful child he is maybe because of his challenges... maybe he wouldn't be who he is if he had been "perfect". So cry, eat, watch chick flicks... but not for long. You need each other to be reality seekers and move on to what's next. I promise you it will be an adventure... with ups and downs and plenty of ice cream and tears. But you both will weather it. Love will lead the way.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here it is, the comment you don't want to hear, which I wouldn't want to hear if it was about my brilliant and perfect child either - that the actual age range at which children START reading is 3-9. The tests aren't bullshit, but the curve is a curve, and just because it happens later for some doesn't mean it's not going to happen. Dream on, love on, have faith.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Product-Oriented Parenting. Our society and our schools are rapt with disempowering parents as the nurturer of a Whole Child. A friend has a sig line "We worry about what a child will be tomorrow, yet we forget that the
child is already someone today. - Stacia Tauscher"

Don't allow the fear-mongering to distract you from the Whole Child that your son is already. Nurture that and tomorrow won't seem so unpredictable and scary. Trust that your child is exactly who he needs to be. He will continue to believe in himself unless enough people and schools tell him he isn't "enough". Don't begin conveying this by starting to believe this yourself.

He is enough. You can help him to continue believing it or you can quit believing it. That is where your power lies. Trust yourself to trust 'he is who he needs to be' exactly at this moment. He is a Whole Child. Protect that.

Best wishes and strength not to believe society. Believe in your son.

Pat

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
Someone posted your blog on CWHN which led me here. I am so sorry you are going through this. I always think of L as an exuberant, intelligent young boy!! He always knew so much on those field trips!! I am confident that you -- a strong, intelligent MOM can weather the emotions around this and walk through to be the inspiring supportive person L needs. I am just as confident in L to grow into the best L has (which is a lot). Honor the feelings, trust the process, and have faith that you will work together w/L to make sure he gets the education best suited to him.

OT. I have been thinking of you a lot since my father passed in January. I remember so clearly your wisdom and emotional process when your dad passed. Even though I do not see you much, know that you are a strong power of example to me. Specifically, because you shared that process for yourself, I am able to accept it with more grace.

God Bless,
Mary OO

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding No Child Left Behind testing: you were given the right to have your child NOT tested. Every family was notified. No one, not even your school was given individual test scores. Each child was given a different test and no names were on the test, no teacher had names, no test examiner had names. No Child Left Behind is to be used as an indicator of the quality of teachers, not children. Do some on line research.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell, I have a 12dd AD/HD (adopted) that asks me how to spell "BARBIE"...um, she has a terrible time w/ writing/spelling, and I homeschool her ...where she is much, much happier & able to go at her own pace...might you consider homeschooling?

LMISS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home