Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Failure

15 days ago my 6 yr old daughter was hit by a car. Everyday since 7:15 p.m. on Tuesday, August 8, I have struggled with my failure to protect my child. It is destroying me.

We, my husband and I, were standing across the street in the driveway of a neighbor, engrossed in conversation, adult talk. But that is a lie, for every mother knows the only time you can be engrossed in conversation is when your children are asleep in bed, or being cared for by someone else and NOT in eye shot of you.

Our children were across the street in our house. Two were in the backyard playing, the third and youngest was on the other side of the street. I had my eye on him while trying to maintain a conversation that entailed finishing coherent and complete sentences. I was multi-tasking a conversation.

Suddenly, my daughter is moving towards the end of the driveway, on her scooter wearing a helmet. I do not see her, my husband does. He watches as she looks to her right, but not to her left. He sees what she does not see. He sees the car. He is yelling, “Stop! Stop!” Each successive yell louder, and more forceful, each filled with increasing fear. I see that it’s too late. She is looking at us, eyes big, working our alarm down from her ears to her body trying to obey. She meets the front of the car and disappears from view.

I am screaming “Oh My God! Oh My God!” over and over and over again. I turn my back to the scene. I am bent over, hugging myself looking for a way to run. I want to clutch myself into oblivion. My husband and my neighbor are gone, having disappeared also around the car. I walk into the bushes of my neighbor’s house wanting only to go away from her, the daughter that has disappeared.

The others have reacted differently. I do not see them run towards her. I, unable to escape finally turn to face the car. Observing my daughter as her blood leaves her body or as she lays rag-doll like on the ground is something I cannot do. I just simply cannot do it, even if it means missing her last breath. I know later, if she dies, I will regret that decision. It doesn’t matter. I can do nothing in this moment. I am one of the useless hysterical mothers we see on t.v. and I am filled with shame.

I run around the back end of the car, into my house, to the phone, averting my face. I can only utter “My daughter has been hit by a car,” before the woman is telling me to take deep breaths and that she can’t understand me. I remember hearing my daughter shrieking. She is conscious, that is good, I think. That is good. I am trying to breathe deeply so I can impart valuable information to the woman on the phone who is trying to help me. The expression “a scream that wells up inside” is accurate. I am impressed by its precise description. My neighbor is unexpectedly here in the kitchen with me, holding me and the anguish subsides enough to tell the dispatcher everything she needs to know.

I am breathless. My heart if it is not broken is trying hard to burst from my chest. I cannot help her. I see my 6’6” husband sitting on the stoop, cradling and rocking her. My daughter is sobbing. He and I look at each other. “I am sorry” I say in my mind. “I cannot help you.” His eyes hold the terror of not understanding what just happened. I cannot bear the site of her blonde-brown hair hanging over his arms.

At that moment, when I passed the doorway, unable to approach her or him, I felt that I had failed my mother test. The image of mother as the great protector was not my reality. I was not careful or watchful enough to protect my daughter. And worse, I was in the middle of a “selfish” act, talking to a neighbor, filling up my emotional tank when the accident happened. Good mothers are careful of where they stand when they talk to neighbors. Good mother do not turn to Jell-O during a crisis. A good mother faces her child, bloodied or not and comforts her. I didn’t comfort. I broke.

There is this myth that we, as mothers, can shield our children completely. That if we are all-vigilant and all-protecting, our children will never have to deal with sexual predators, bullies and cars driving down a road. And while we understand logically it’s impossible, it doesn’t stop us from passing judgment on others and ourselves for failing in this arena. The myth of motherhood, with its unrealistic expectations and its supplementary public demands is a trap. There is no space to be human, to err, only space for guilt about making the “wrong” choice. Being a good mother is synonymous with the being perfect. I was and am not perfect. And somehow, in my imperfection, I deal with the idea that the accident was my fault and is due to my failure as a mother. That is the most dangerous thought of all.

Follow up: Pallas is ok. She did slow down enough to hit the side panel of the car and not the front of it. The drag marks from her scooter are 30 feet long. They are still visible on the street in front of our house. She was wearing a helmet, a habit we have fought with our kids about. It might have saved her life. At the least, it saved her many stitches.

10 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Wow. Just, wow.

Talk about one event summing up all one's fears as a mother--and you expressed it beautifully. I'm not sure whether those fears are instinctual or put on us from the outside, but you really nailed it.

I am so glad Pallas is okay. Our prayers are with you!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I cried - even though I knew the outcome, even though we've talked about the incident, even though I've unpacked the bags that I packed when I learned about the accident from Art (I will go to great lengths or distances to help my daughters).

I'm glad we can focus on the writing - fabulous! - and not the outcome.

Mom

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, no reason why you should remember me from the parkdays, but I remember you and your children and occasionally read your blog. I am so glad to hear that Pallas is doing all right. A dear friend lost two of her three sons to cars -- both just in front of her house (which is just across the street from mine...!!). I am forever fearful that her nightmare will become mine, even though our street is quiet - I suppose that makes her experience all the more unbelievable and therefore terrifying. I cannot imagine going through what you have.

My prayers are with you and your family, especially for Pallas' complete recovery.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I held my breath through the entire entry...

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live on a busy street, cars, trucks, semi-trucks, ambulances and the like. It is my constant fear that one of my kids will get hit, even if they are carefully trying to cross this street in the crosswalk. The people drive like maniacs, always in a hurry.

You have put into words the feelings I have when I wake up from the nightmares.

I am also ever vigilant about my kids. They are now 10 and 13, and ask why I still insist on walking them across this street. There is a reason. It is the fear in my heart...that awful vision in my head that I get when I think of what could happen.

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Kim, what can one say?

My heart just sank for you, Art and the boy's. I understand your fears. I have held this fear every since I was a little girl when one of my friends got hit by a car in front of my house.

Don't fret on your reaction, thats just one example of how God made us. You did not fail as a mother because of your reaction. All the emotions you felt were meant to be.

My Prayers are with you and Pallas for a full recovery.

Sherry

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter just told me today that wearing helmets while riding on a scooter is not necessary. I plan on sharing this story with her first thing tommorrow morning. And with my husband who tends to be a lot less concerned about helmets, boosters and such.
You and your entire family are in my prayers. My reaction would have been very similiar to yours- I completely lose it when anything is going wrong with my kids. So much so that this has inspired me to sign up for a CPR class right away- because in the heat of a crisis- I tend to just crack.
Take care Kim- hope to see you around church
Ingrid

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart sank when I read this. Just a couple weeks ago, I was talking to some builders while my kids played in the backyard. Unbeknownst to me, driveway gate was left open and my 17 month son had chased his ball into the street. I don't know whether it was intuition or just luck, but I had a feeling i needed to check on him and I went outside and couldn't find him. When I saw the gate, I ran out front and he was in the middle of the street and looked up at me. I don't think I ran that fast in my life. I scooped him up and locked the gate. The image will haunt me forever of what could have been.

Thank God your little girl is okay...you are not a failure.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh !!!

I just read this as it was forwarded to me..... I am speechless. I am so sorry that you all went through this ordeal.

I also am a parent that seems to be frozen during an emergency.....however, I have all of my senses when things happen to friends children.

I am so glad that Pallas is Ok.....

Sue :>

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I'm glad that all is OK - what a riveting description of a horrifying situation - I cannot imagine what I would do in similar circumstances. I told my 6 yr old son about this (since he knows Pallas) and explained that this is why I am a military sargeant about crossing the street. Sometimes I think I am a bit excessive in my demands that he look at all ways etc. but its stories like this that remind me that I'm not overly obsessive. Thank God Pallas is OK - hope to see you soon - thinking of you all. Thanks for sharing this brutally honest account!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home